Amputee Coalition Fact Sheet

How Do I Get Help From My Congressional Representative

Web Development Fact Sheet

Last updated 01/2008 | Download PDF

Most congressional offices have full-time caseworkers, whose jobs consist of helping their constituents overcome challenges that arise with federal agencies and programs, such as Medicare, Social Security, and the Veterans Administration.

Federal congressional offices may get thousands of pieces of mail each week. Although intentions are good, this high volume sometimes means that letters get lost in the shuffle or fail to receive the attention they need and deserve.

Call the local office of your federal representatives to determine where the caseworkers are located, whether it’s in the state or Washington, D.C.  (Check the blue pages of your local telephone book.) If available, most caseworkers will be willing to talk with you on the phone, and an initial phone call may prove helpful in order to establish a relationship and to develop a personal contact. However, a written letter is typically required before an office is allowed to pursue action on your behalf.

To find contact information for your Senators, go to and select your state. To determine your Representative and his or her contact information, go to and enter your ZIP code. You may also phone the United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121.

The ‘Write Your Representative’ service at provides a simple way to send a message to a member of the House.

Congressional caseworkers may also be able to intercede on behalf of some private insurance issues. Typically, their involvement is limited, consisting of putting you in contact with the appropriate department at the state level and forwarding your information to them. However, it is important to note that having your information sent to a state department or having a call made on your behalf from a federal representative may prove very helpful.

Usually making contact with one office is sufficient, but it is important to keep in mind that some offices may be more responsive than others, due to workload, size of staff, etc. If one office fails to provide help, you may wish to contact another. (Each individual is represented by two U.S. Senators and by one member in the House of Representatives.)

Note: Due to post-9/11 security measures, it can now take months for postal mail to be delivered to Senators or Representatives.Make your first contact by phone or e-mail. If for some reason you must write, letters should be addressed like this:

Office of Senator (Full Name)
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
Office of Representative (Full Name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington DC 20515


It is not the intention of the Amputee Coalition to provide specific medical or legal advice but rather to provide consumers with information to better understand their health and healthcare issues. The Amputee Coalition does not endorse any specific treatment, technology, company, service or device. Consumers are urged to consult with their healthcare providers for specific medical advice or before making any purchasing decisions involving their care.

National Limb Loss Resource Center, a program of the Amputee Coalition, located at 900 East Hill Ave., Suite 290, Knoxville, TN 37915 | 888/267-5669

© Amputee Coalition. Local reproduction for use by Amputee Coalition constituents is permitted as long as this copyright information is included. Organizations or individuals wishing to reprint this article in other publications, including other World Wide Web sites must contact the Amputee Coalition for permission to do so.