Second Chance Scholarship Application
Family Caregiver Scholarship Application
The Bridge to Ability Scholarships were created to help reduce or eliminate the financial barriers that can make it impossible for amputees and their caregivers to attend the Amputee Coalition National Conference for the first time. The Bridge to Ability Scholarships are made possible by our generous donors. We are especially grateful to Kathy Spozio’s family for starting this scholarship. The award for each scholarship is outlined on the cover page of the application. Please review the eligibility requirements below to see if you qualify!
Applications must be postmarked by April 17, 2017
Who is eligible?
To be considered for one of the Bridge to Ability Scholarships, you must fit the following criteria.
- You are unable to attend the Amputee Coalition National Conference due to financial constraints (must provide proof of income and income statement),
- You have never attended an Amputee Coalition National Conference,
- You are not eligible to attend the Conference and have your expenses paid by working at a device company, as a patient model, or in a similar role.
Additional requirements specific to each scholarship are:
- For the Bridge to Ability Scholarship you must have an amputation of one (1) or more limbs within two (2) years of application deadline (must provide date and level of amputation).
- For the Bridge to Ability Second Chance Scholarship you must have limb loss or limb difference. If you had an amputation, it must be more than two (2) years since the initial surgery.
- For the Bridge to Ability Family Caregiver Scholarship you must be the primary caregiver for someone with limb loss or limb difference, defined as a spouse, partner or parent. You will also need to indicate the individual you are a caregiver for on your application, and they must either be registered for Conference or applying for a Bridge to Ability Scholarship.
How do I apply?
Complete and submit the application along with the required documents listed below and in the application. All applications must be postmarked by April 17, 2017. Application materials will not be returned to you.
The following information is mandatory to include with your application:
- Proof of household income (2 recent pay stubs OR proof of disability or Social Security, AND 2015 tax return) – please attach to the financial statement.
- Letter of recommendation including the writer’s contact information (from either a community member, peer, friend or family member). Please limit the letter to one typewritten page.
- One letter or note from your health care provider (prosthetist, physician, etc.) indicating that you are physically able to travel to the conference and attend the event.
- Your UPDATED biography and story. (1-3 paragraphs). Please share your story including how you came to be in your current situation. We want to get to know you.
- A written essay (no more than 350 words) on “Why I want to attend the Amputee Coalition’s National Conference and what I hope to gain as a result of my attendance.”
If you receive one of our Bridge to Ability Scholarships you will also be required to do the following:
- Sign and return a letter accepting the Bridge to Ability Scholarship (provided by the Amputee Coalition).
- Attend the conference, including breakout sessions.
- Make all travel arrangements through Amputee Coalition.
- Sign a release that allows the Amputee Coalition to use your photos/videos and story to fundraise for the Amputee Coalition, the National Conference and the Bridge to Ability Fund.
- Provide a photo of yourself.
- Represent the Amputee Coalition in a manner that brings awareness and support of our mission.
After you have completed your application and assembled your supporting materials, you can mail your application packet to:
Attn: Bridge to Ability Scholarship
900 E. Hill Avenue, Suite 390
Knoxville, TN 37915
You can scan and email all required documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR APPLICATION PACKET MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN APRIL 17, 2017.
You will be notified by May 11, 2017 if you have been selected to receive a Bridge to Ability Scholarship from the Amputee Coalition. If you have questions or need assistance with your application, please contact Tonya Osborne-Simpson at the Amputee Coalition (888/ 267-5669 ext.8103).